Date(s) - 04/27/2019
9:00am - 4:00pm
Practical Carbine Skills 1 is designed for the new rifle owner, individuals who have owned a rifle but never attended formal training as well as the seasoned carbine operator. The focus of this course is utilization of the carbine/rifle in and around the home for personal protection in an urban/domestic context where utilization of force is a last resort. A solid grounding in safety and fundamentals of gun handling is presented with a heavy emphasis on the students ability to manipulate the firearm while multi-tasking or under stress.
PLEASE NOTE: The “spur” modification to meet NYS compliance is not allowed in this class due to the limited (extremely poor) control it provides over the rifle. If you plan on attending with a NYS compliant build the Thordsen FRS-15 stock is our only recommendation at this time. However, please be aware this stock can be problematic for some operator’s, depending on hand size, such as the ability to easily reach, disengage and re-engage the safety selector with the final firing hand; which is a critical skill and essential to safe gun-handling.
Course content will include but is not limited to:
- Firearm Safety/Range Safety
- History, Modifications & Sling Options
- Personal Equipment Selection & Placement
- Preparatory Gun-Handling
- Zero & Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Carbine Ready Positions
- Emergency Gun-Handling – Malfunctions
- Positional Shooting
- Multiple Target Engagement
- Fundamental Use of Cover & Concealment and more…
* Please come to class with your rifle zero complete. MDTS recommends a 50-200 meter zero utilizing the PFC Zero Target.
Carbine/rifle to include AR15, AK47, Mini-14 or magazine fed pistol caliber carbine to include Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp Carbine or even a Ruger 10-22 may be utilized.
- A minimum of 3 magazines (5 is better)
- 300+ rounds of factory loaded rifle ammunition
- eye and ear protection
- appropriate clothing for weather
- hat with brim
- optional equipment- sling
- gloves & knee pads
*A pistol is not required to attend this course
If you have a .22 conversion kit for your carbine or a dedicated .22 upper you can use it during this course but it is higly recommended you attempt to shoot the majority of the course with your carry ammunition caliber. You WILL need a minimum of 200 rounds of regular ammunition which you will be shooting.
Additional Equipment Considerations:
- knee & elbow protection
- note taking materials
- lunch for full day class
* Lunch is limited to 30 minutes max and is often a “working” lunch where discussion of specific aspects related to the days class or a module of instruction is presented. Therefore it is highly recommended you bring a bag lunch.
*** Contact us today if you would like to host MDTS at your range or come to us here in the Mohawk Valley region for one of our Practical Carbine Skills Courses. We have range and classroom facilities available that can accommodate large groups (12+), semi-private (2-4) or private training (1 on 1).
This event is fully booked.