Date(s) - 05/03/2015
8:30am - 4:30pm
Category(ies) No Categories
The MDTS Practical Carbine Skills curriculum is designed for the new rifle owner, individuals who have owned a rifle but never attended formal training as well as the seasoned operator. The focus of this course is utilization of the carbine/rifle in and around the home for personal protection in an urban/domestic context where utilization of force is a last resort. solid grounding in safety and fundamentals of gun handling is presented with a heavy emphasis on the students ability to manipulate the firearm while multi-tasking or under stress. This is a fast paced, challenging course. To attend this course you must have NYS compliant or registered rifle/carbine to include AR15, AK47. Mini-14’s or magazine fed pistol caliber carbines to include Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp Carbine or Ruger 10-22 may also be utilized. PLEASE NOTE – No “spurs” on AR type rifles will be allowed due to safety issues reported on this modification; no exceptions will be made. A “featureless rifle stock” is recommended if you choose to bring a newly built, NYS compliant, AR-type rifle.
Course content will include but is not limited to:
- Firearm Safety/Range Safety
- History, Modifications & Sling Options
- Personal Equipment Selection & Placement
- Preparatory Gun-Handling
- Zero & Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Carry & Carbine Ready Positions
- Shooting Response Theory
- Lateral Displacement & Proactive Movement
- After Action Assessment Concept
- Positional Shooting
- Multiple Target Engagement
- Fundamental Use of Cover & Concealment and more…
* Please come to class with your rifle zero complete. MDTS recommends a 50-200 meter zero utilizing the PFC Zero Target.
Carbine/rifle to include AR15, AK47. Mini-14’s or magazine fed pistol caliber carbines to include Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp Carbine or Ruger 10-22 may also be utilized. PLEASE NOTE – No “spurs” on AR type rifles will be allowed due to safety issues reported on this modification; no exceptions will be made. A “featureless rifle stock” is recommended if you choose to bring a newly built, NYS compliant, AR-type rifle.
- A minimum of 3 NYS compliant 10 round magazines (5 is better), these can include 30 round magazines “blocked” to 10 rounds
- 300 rounds rifle
- eye and ear protection
- appropriate clothing for weather
- hat with brim
- optional equipment- sling
- gloves & knee pads
*A pistol is not required to attend this course
If you have a .22 conversion kit for your carbine or a dedicated .22 upper you can use it during this course but it is higly recommended you attempt to shoot the majority of the course with your carry ammunition caliber. You WILL need a minimum of 200 rounds of regular ammunition which you will be shooting.
Additional Equipment Considerations:
- knee & elbow protection
- note taking materials
- lunch for full day class
* Lunch is limited to 30-40 minutes max and is often a “working” lunch where discussion of specific aspects related to the days class or a module of instruction is presented. Therefore it is highly recommended you bring a bag lunch.
*** Contact us today if you would like to host MDTS at your range or come to us here in the Mohawk Valley region for one of our Practical Carbine Skills Courses. We have range and classroom facilities available that can accommodate large groups (12+), semi-private (2-4) or private training (1 on 1).
This event is fully booked.