MDTS is proud to collaborate with William Aprill of Aprill Risk Consulting to offer our clients the Defensive Fundamentals: Mindset & Techniques course. This 8 hr. program of instruction offers a unique insight into the essential Mindset & Physical Techniques necessary to navigate a defensive shooting. A combination of break out interactive lectures and fundamental pistol operation skills this course provides the end-user with the physical gun-handling skills AND the essential mindset to implement those skills under extreme duress. Understanding yourself, the criminal and the conflict is the focus of this course. How to prepare for and deal with a defensive shooting, before, during and after is essential to WINNING and returning home safe. If you own a handgun for personal defense, in or out of the home, this course is mandatory to your defensive training, development and readiness.
Course content will include but is not limited to:
- The 5 W’s of Risk
- Legalities of Deadly Physical Force
- Fundamentals of Gun Handling
- Rapid & Accurate Threat Engagement
- Emergency Gun Handling
- Decision Making & Critical Thinking
- How Criminals Select Victims
- Deselection Strategies
- NYS Pistol permit
- serviceable pistol
- comfortable clothing or duty uniform
- 200 rounds ammunition
- minimum of 2 magazines/speedloader & holders
- sturdy belt & strong side holster only
- eye & ear protection
- weather appropriate clothing
- note taking materials
- cover garment
* If you have a .22 conversion kit for your pistol you can use it during this course but it is highly recommended you attempt to shoot the majority of the course with your carry ammunition caliber. You WILL need a minimum of 200 rounds of regular ammunition which you will be shooting.
** Lunch is limited to 30-40 minutes max and is often a “working” lunch where discussion of specific aspects related to the days class or a module of instruction is presented. Therefore it is highly recommended you bring a bag lunch.
*** Contact us today if you would like to host MDTS at your range or come to us here in the Mohawk Valley region for one of our Defensive Fundamentals Courses. We have range and classroom facilities available that can accommodate large groups (12+), semi-private (2-4) or private training (1 on 1).